In some cases, we earn commissions from affiliate links in our posts.
Rumours about a Season 4 of Agatha Raisin have been swirling for months now, but it's only this week that Acorn TV officially and publicly confirmed that Season 4 will definitely be happening. We're thrilled to hear it, and we know many other cosy mystery fans will be, too.
Of the new season, star Ashley Jensen said:
I am overjoyed to be returning as Agatha Raisin. A role I love playing and a show that is very close to my heart. I am excited to see what’s in store for Agatha and her merry band of misfits in Series 4.
What's Happening in Season 4 of Agatha Raisin?
Like Series 3, Series 4 will adapt four of the late M.C. Beaton's novels in four 90-minute episodes (or eight 45-minute episodes with some services).
- “Kissing Christmas Goodbye” – With business booming for Agatha Raisin's Detective Agency, she’s in need of a well-earned break. With Christmas just around the corner, it looks like the perfect opportunity to relax. However, when she receives a letter from an old lady begging for protection, Agatha can’t help but spring into action.
- “Love, Lies and Liquor” – James has finally returned to Carsley and promised to whisk Agatha away on holiday where she can help him write his next novel. Agatha’s dreams of the French Riviera quickly fade when she finds herself in Snoth-on-Sea, a seaside resort whose glory days are far behind it. When a hotel guest is found murdered, it’s up to Agatha to prove who the killer is.
- “A Spoonful of Poison” – The competition to be crowned winner of the Carsley Jam-Off has always been fierce, but when the prize jam is poisoned leading to the death of a judge, things may finally have gone a step too far. Determined to bring the killer to justice, Agatha resolves to restore the competition’s name.
- “There Goes The Bride” – Agatha reluctantly promises to support James by attending his wedding. However, when a body is found during the morning of the big day, it’s up to Agatha and the gang to come to the rescue.
Who's Starring in Season 4 of Agatha Raisin?
Along with Ashley Jensen as Agatha, we'll see return performances from Mathew Horne (Gavin & Stacey) as Roy Silver, Jamie Glover (Waterloo Road) as James Lacey, Jason Merrells (Safe House) as Sir Charles Fraith, Lucy Liemann (Rev) as Sarah Bloxby, Matt McCooey (The Salisbury Poisonings) as Bill Wong, Jason Barnett (Bridgerton) as Inspector Wilkes, and Marcia Warren (Don't Forget the Driver) as Mrs. Boggle.
When Season 3 came out, there were a lot of comments and emails about the sudden departure of Katy Wix and the addition of Jodie Tyack as junior detective Toni Gilmour. Katy Wix is an incredibly talented actress and she fit the role so perfectly that it was hard to see someone else trying to fill the slot she left behind.
So far, there's been no mention of either actress participating in Series 4. Katy Wix has been in demand the last few years, taking on recurring roles in The Windsors, Ghosts, and Stath Lets Flats. It wouldn't be surprising if she's just too busy to take on another show – but we can always hope.
When Does Season 4 of Agatha Raisin Premiere?
Unfortunately, it's still too early in the process to have a firm premiere date, but Acorn TV has estimated late 2021 or early 2022. The new season begins filming in March, and with vaccinations ramping up and infections coming down, it seems likely they'll be able to finish without any disruptions.
Catch Up Before Season 4 Arrives…
Since production starts next month, we've got a little while yet before new episodes premiere.
There are 9 episodes from Season 1, 3 movies in Season 2, 4 movies in Season 3, and if you're feeling really ambitious, you could start in on the novels or radio series.
We've listed them all below, including the series they correspond to.
- Watch Series 1 of Agatha Raisin on Acorn TV: Click here for Acorn TV | Click here for Acorn on Amazon
- Watch Series 2 of Agatha Raisin on Acorn TV: Click here for Acorn TV | Click here for Acorn on Amazon
- Watch Series 3 of Agatha Raisin on Acorn TV: Click here for Acorn TV | Click here for Acorn on Amazon
- Read the books here:
- The Quiche of Death – Series 1
- The Vicious Vet – Series 1
- The Potted Gardener – Series 1
- The Walkers of Dembley – Series 1
- Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage – Series 1
- Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist
- Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death – Series 1
- Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham – Series 2
- Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden
- Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam – Series 2
- Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell – Series 3
- Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came – Series 1
- Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate – Series 2
- Agatha Raisin and the Haunted House – Series 3
- The Deadly Dance – Series 3
- The Perfect Paragon
- Love, Lies, and Liquor – Series 4
- Kissing Christmas Goodbye – Series 4
- A Spoonful of Poison – Series 4
- There Goes the Bride – Series 4
- Busy Body
- As the Pig Turns – Series 3
- Hiss and Hers
- Something Borrowed, Someone Dead
- The Blood of an Englishman
- Dishing the Dirt
- Pushing Up Daisies
- The Witches Tree
- The Dead Ringer
- Beating About the Bush
- Hot to Trot (by Rod Greene with M.C. Beaton)
- There are also a couple of shorter titles…
- And a BBC radio series with Penelope Keith as Agatha…
While M.C. Beaton herself is no longer with us, she worked closely with a ghostwriter, Rod Greene, at the end of her life. With her approval, he will carry on with the Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth books. You can read more about M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series and the transition over at Great British Book Club.
Will You Tune in For Season 4 of Agatha Raisin?
While I can't call it my absolute favourite cosy mystery series (I tend to prefer the older ones), I always enjoy the new episodes. Will you be tuning in for Season 4? Let us know in the comments!
Save it to Pinterest!